Welcome to the passport information page. The passport section of the Consulate General of
Afghanistan in New York provides passport services to citizens of Afghanistan for international travel.
On this page you will find information about machine-readable passport requirements and passport
application forms. We encourage you to look over the directions, complete the form with the correct
information, and return it to the Consulate General with the required documents.
Please note that presence of all passport applicants at the Consulate General of Afghanistan in New
York is mandatory for biometric enrolment and other processing procedures.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our passport section on 212 972 2276,
212 972 2277 Ext. 1836, 1837 or 1838
Our office hours are Monday to Friday from 09:00 am to 3:00 pm.
• Stated in letter number 90/648/6 dated 1395/4/2 of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan
and in accordance with Passport law of Afghanistan section # 1 article number 19, all passport
applicants are required to provide proof of identity and Afghan citizenship.
Acceptable document of proof showing your citizenship is Afghanistan’s ID (Tazkera) and it is
mandatory for all applicants to provide their original Afghanistan's ID (Tazkera) (duly attested
by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan),
• Old non-damaged Afghan passports.
• Supporting documents birth certificates (duly attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of
Afghanistan) or marriage certificates (issued by Afghan Supreme Court and duly attested by the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan) will not be accepted as proof of identity and Afghan
• Afghan nationals with dual nationality are required to provide a copy of their secondary passport.
• If you are a US alien resident, please provide documents indicating your residence in the US(copy
of your Green Card).
• A completed passport application form in Dari/Pashto and English.
• Please make sure your name must be spelled exactly the same as the name appearing on the
relevant ID or document. No variations are permitted.
• Please make sure your date of birth is written in Gregorian and write name of the month in letters.(
Example: 25 February 2015)
• Proof of address
• A single 2-by-2-inch passport photo with each application. Passport photos must be a color picture
with the white background taken within the past six months.
• An original signature of the applicant on the designated box on the second page of the passport
application form. Please make sure that your signature is not touching the box lines. If you are
applying on behalf of a child, you could write his/her name and sign on behalf of the applicant.
• All children under age of 18 must be accompanied by parents.
• The fee for the passport is U$ 120.00 which should be in the form of money order payable to the
Consulate General of Afghanistan in New York. Please submit one money order per applicant. Please
do not submit one money order for more than one applicant. The fee is non-refundable.
• The fee for the lost passport is U$ 240.00 which should be in the form of money order payable to
the Consulate General of Afghanistan in New York. The fee is non-refundable.
If your old passport is expired, the following penalty fees are applicable:
• U$5.00 for 1-3 months past validity date on passport
• U$10.00 for 4-6 months past validity date on passport
• U$15.00 for 7-9 months past validity date on passport
• U$20.00 for 10-12 months past validity date on passport
Please note that if the passport is expired more than one year, the penalty fee will be calculated
based on U$ 5:00 for each three months.
• A prepaid registered envelope is required, if you could not come to receive your passport in
person, the envelope will be used to ship your new passport.
1. Afghans born in the U.S and are under 18 years old (those without a Tazkera) are not required to
have a Tazkera to get a passport. They need to have a birth certificate and proof of their parent’s
Afghan citizenship documents.
2. It is mandatory to bring your previous Afghan Passport to the Consulate General, if you have been
issued one in the past. If your passport has been lost or stolen, please submit a police report with your
application and a copy of your passport.